Direct Report: Principal
Function: To keep the school buildings and grounds in a clean, neat, and safe condition.
Location: Evaton West, Gauteng
Contract Duration: 01 Year
- Hold building keys – and be responsible for the opening and locking of buildings and gates.
- Emptying of class waste-baskets and rubbish bins and place into the main waste bin. Inform the company when it is to be emptied.
- Order cleaning materials for staffroom and toilet paper, soap, and paper towels for the toilets and service as required.
- During winter, attend to the heating system. Keep it in a safe, tidy, clean condition, ensuring no fire hazards exist. Start system to heat school by 9 a.m. Ensure all heating turned off at the end of the day.
- During summer, ensure the swimming pool and filtration plant operating cleanly and safely. Check the pump as required and action maintenance.
- Blow vac around hard surfaces around the school as required
- As required – mopping up of cloak bays and heavy traffic areas to keep free of excessive water.
- Other duties as allocated, e.g. ensure hazardous chemicals and paint are stored in the facility provided.
- Maintain lawns and edges in growth season – mow and trim as specified using ride-on mower and edger.
- Garden maintenance, e.g. weeding gardens, removal of dead or unsightly trees or shrubs, renewal of topsoil, plants etc., shrub maintenance, e.g. weeding around.
- Checking of adventure climbing equipment for safety; report to Principal.
- Check the condition of drains, grates, and catch pits. Clean as required.
- Action jobs reported from the staff.
- Attend to hedges, trees, and shrubs.
- Maintain ground tidiness.
- Repair and paint outdoor seating, railing
- Cleaning of external windows at least twice yearly and within the vacation period, or as required.
- Anything else delegated by the Principal
- Attend to minor repairs such as leaking taps, window catches, door locks, chairs, furniture, replace light bulbs, (maintenance book).
- Painting maintenance to keep buildings in good condition
- Minor handyman jobs, e.g. erecting shelves, cupboards, etc. as required.
- Maintain areas that are susceptible to moss (especially astroturf)
- Clean filters on air conditioning units
- Cleaning of spouting and gutters.
- Maintenance of all equipment, tools, and machinery, etc. to a safe, efficient level.
- Yearly stocktake and update of all equipment and tools prior to the start of each school year. A copy to the Principal and held on the computer.
- Reporting to Principal of any unsafe areas, or areas requiring professional expertise.
- Spraying for weeds by any poisons (e.g. herbicides)
- Being aware of safety procedures and wind drift.
- Other cleaning or maintenance jobs as required by staff to keep the grounds and buildings in a clean, safe tidy condition.
- Repair/paint classroom furniture as required.
- Attend property meetings as required.
- Make relevant entries in the Building Maintenance Manual.
- Property management responsibilities (contact tradesman as required.)
- Advise property committee of possible school hazards during the annual inspection
- Attend property meetings (during major projects.)
- Liaise between the school and contractors
- Enviro School’s projects (as directed)
- Any work must be carried out according to existing Health and Safety regulations
- Proven experience of 05 years as a School Caretaker
- Grade 12
- Very good knowledge of MS Office and excellent communication skills
- Very good organizational and multi-tasking abilities
- Time management & interpersonal skills